The London Gazette’s historical position as the Official Newspaper of Record for the United Kingdom has enabled it to develop into a unique bank of information. It is a cross-governmental resource, bringing together data from numerous official sources and enabling users to cross-reference official information easily.
Information in the London Gazette is grouped into the following categories: State, Parliament, Ecclesiastical, Public Finance, Transport, Planning, Health, Environment, Water, Agriculture & Fisheries, Energy, Post & Telecom, Competition, Corporate Insolvency, Personal Insolvency, Companies & Financial Regulations, Partnerships, Societies Regulation, Personal Legal.
Each category contains a number of sub-categories, which may then be broken down into notice types to enable users to find the information they need. Please see Browse Notices for more information.
A number of supplements are published.
The best-known are:
- Honours and Awards supplements (including the Queen’s Birthday and New Year Honours and awards for valour),
- Ministry of Defence Supplement (officer’s appointments, promotions and similar within the Services),
- Queen’s Awards for Enterprise and Voluntary Service.
- The weekly Company Law Official Notifications (best known for striking off and dissolutions),
- The annual Premium Bond Unclaimed Prizes Supplement.